Quick On the Draw: I'm Just a Slow Writer



I just can’t do it.
Many of the online writers who I follow seem to be able to put out work at a phenomenal rate. God, Anton lesch manages to put a story out every day, and they are still great! I just can’t write that fast. Well, that’s partly true, but also partly a lie, and I never like to lie to my readers. 
Let me explain…
All writers have different rates of work. Some will write only a few words a day agonising over each syllable, others will churn out thousands knowing that they can then go back and rewrite to clean it up. Me? I’m kind of in the latter camp.
I can write a 5000 word short story in one day. That’s quite a lot, to be honest. My average is 2000 words in one day as well as rewrites. But the question remains: ‘Is it any good?’. Since people have been reading my stories the pressure is most definitely on. Don’t get me wrong, I love the feeling of being accountable for the quality of my work, but that accountability can be very time consuming.
It was said of Christopher Hitchens that he could get drunk the night before, wake up rough, jump straight into some lunchtime drinks and then produce 2000 perfect words of copy. Again, not for me. I have to get my draft down and then shape it. The first draft gets the plot down, but the description, the atmosphere, the mood of the piece is either forged in subsequent drafts or heavily developed.
So, it isn’t a question I suppose of not being able to write fast. It’s a question of not being able to write fast and well. It takes time. I want those who have invested in the book to get the best stories I can muster. I want those who are waiting for the last two stories which will be freely available before launch (‘The Mermaid of Porthleven’ and ‘Frozen’) to get enjoyment out of them.
When I look back at some of my other stories, ‘Pass it On’ being the most obvious, they were first drafts with some slight editing and shaping. I feel I can do better than that, and hope that when people do finally read the stories I’ve been working on since I last posted ‘A Christmas Feast’ in December, that they will say: ‘It was worth the wait’.
~ Mike

COMMENTS

Name

announcements,7,articles,3,Audio,12,Bedtime and Other Tales of Terror,1,Book Reviews,1,Books,1,campfire ghost story,2,Documentaries,1,Featured,4,Films,6,Footage Found,1,Free Novels,1,From a Campfire's Embers,5,Horror Detour,9,Livestream,11,Mike Rants,2,Music,2,narration,14,narrations,14,News,102,No Sleep,2,Novellas,3,on a hill,1,Poems,4,Produced Scripts,1,Radio Plays,1,Real Horrors,1,Reviews,3,Short Stories,26,Tales of Creepypasta,3,terrifying tales,1,The Ghost Story Society,2,The Horror Imperative,1,The Sins of Abigail Flesh,2,Unproduced Scripts,1,Vault of Ghastly Tales,9,Videos,3,Vlogs,2,Writing,1,Writing Tips,1,Written Stories,24,
ltr
item
Michael Whitehouse: Quick On the Draw: I'm Just a Slow Writer
Quick On the Draw: I'm Just a Slow Writer
Michael Whitehouse
http://michaelwhitehouse.blogspot.com/2013/03/quick-on-draw-im-just-slow-writer.html
http://michaelwhitehouse.blogspot.com/
http://michaelwhitehouse.blogspot.com/
http://michaelwhitehouse.blogspot.com/2013/03/quick-on-draw-im-just-slow-writer.html
true
5017136615759955888
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS CONTENT IS PREMIUM Please share to unlock Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy